The Retired TB: A Farm Life Sidebar

So when we bought our place the primary reason we bought our farm (other than the obvious) was that Dutch does not thrive in pasture board and full care board for two horses was out of our budget.  Dutch has always been a horse of questionable life experience and soundness.  Add to that he has, over the past 13 years, managed to tear 3 of his 4 suspensories.

This creature high maintenance?!?


He is also allergic to trees, clay mud, bugs, and corn.

His Spaceman uniform to protect him from the world.


He also also has the worst feet of any horse most farries here have seen. And he pulls shoes like it is his JOB. We are currently at a max of 5 days between pulls. Yeah, my farrier loves me.

We spend lots of time just loving him.

Conventional retirement was never in the plans. I also nursed dreams the by mirco managing his life, I could bring him back to first level dressage.  And to be fair we have long stretches where he is sound and happy on an every other day dose of previcox.  The downside is that previcox kills his appetite.

Skinny but sound

His allergies require him to go off previcox and on to dex to control his hives and breathing, which does a great job of keeping his allergies under control, not so much and keeping his hind end sound.

It is pretty clear why he pulls shoes, right?

I am slowly letting go of that dream and resigning myself to him living the rest of his life as a twice a week trail horse and my bestest buddy.

Moar of this please!!
If only the lack of work did not also come with a drop him weight.  We may be looking at a feed room redesign to put some fat over those ribs.  I think I am feeding too much in volume for the way both horses look.



But for now, I am happy every time I get to climb on board and just enjoy time with my heart horse.

Last night - me, my best buddy, and a little trail.

Comments

Popular Posts