Rockstar Horse is Rockstar

So after the last deluge, Uno came in from their small sacrifice pen with two fat legs.  Both the right fore and hind were huge.  He was totally sound and had very little heat in the legs or feet.  So we took a wait and see approach.  I am happy to report that with NSAIDs on board and more turn out the edema had dropped a bit each day.  This morning they looked normal.

More sun, less mud, please.

 However, this did mean that Dutch was pulled out of retirement to pitch hit as my lesson partner.  It also meant that we were able to focus on my equitation instead of the horse's shape and movement.  Suprise Suprise - I am woefully weak through the core and upper thigh. 

He hates mud and spends his days standing in/ near the barn.

The lesson focused on using my core and thighs to support Dutch in some shoulder-in to canter, and to half halt and hold the trot to a size he could stay balanced in. We had some great moments and, magically, Dutch was SOUND!!!

We then set up trot poles to the worlds smallest x-rail.  As we went over, first in 2-point, then posting, the goal was to really sink in and use my inner thigh to hold my body.  My default is to be too loose and dramatic with my release.  Note to self - his withers are not a boob shelf.  It took me a bit to be able to keep the tone and strength in my heel and thigh without locking my hips.

The rain has everyone wanting to stay in bed.

Dutch of course cared NOTHING about my floppiness because he got to JOMP all the JOMPS!!!  If he can stay sound for this level of work, the Dude and I may make a show ring appearance this winter.  Especially since our local GMO is offering Horse of the Year points at Green Bean this year - it may be fun to play around with the Dude.

I promise that despite the grumble ears - he is his happiest when he has a job.

He will 19 in January and I think we may have a few more adventures in us!


Comments

Popular Posts