Catch Up: Dutch

Seriously the BEST!
So while Uno was going back to the drawing board, I wanted to keep taking lessons.  There is a LOT of work to do on my equitation.  I have gotten into some very bad habits in my "years off" fox hunting and hacking.
Why yes, I jump ahead and throw my shoulders at the jump. Doesn't everybody?
Knowing Uno needed his brain break I decided to pull Dutch out and see what we had.  Even if he wasn't 100%  we would have lesson to fix my body while he walked and trotted for 20 - 30 minutes. 

Why yes, crumpling forward is such and effective position.
However, he was magically sound!!  When we bought this farm it was with the idea that Dutch was going to be declining in soundness.  He has only been intermittently sound for the last 6 years, post suspensory tears in both hind legs.  When we first moved here (almost 4 years ago) I injected both hocks and stifles. It only kinda worked.  The addition of previcox and adaquan were enough to combat his stiffer days and with 23 hour turn out, he came sound again.  However, the amount of work required for him to be have the strength for 2nd level was too much and he was back to being sore in his back and short in his right hind.

When we were both thin and fighting fit.
I made the choice to retire him to trail buddy and pasture puff.  He is awesome at those things and has enjoyed 3 years of being king-of-the-hill. Even in the pasture, there were days where he was clearly not sound.  He was always willing to play and kick up his heals, so we left it alone.  He gets an immune booster and tri amino supplements and nothing else.
Can he be any cuter?
Since he was sound we have spent the last 4 weeks slowly building up to see what we have.  I am treating this like a gift. No expectations, just enjoying it as long as I can make it last.  So far he has not needed any extra support like previcox or a supplement, and as long as I keep his trot small(er) he is even with both hind legs.



He is thrilled to be back in work - this is horse that clearly enjoys having a job.  the good thing about 23 hour turn out on our hills is that he already has an ok base of cardio fitness. None of our works have produced much in the way of sweat or even heavy breathing.  what he lacks is the muscling to lift and carry.  Which is ok - we will keep it slow and simple, but still fun.







Our local eventing and dressage GMO has year end awards for Green Bean and Intro dressage, so my goal for him is to take him out all the low key events that have GREAT footing and just have fun.  Every ride on this kid puts the biggest simile on my face.





We are going to go out this weekend and do Intro B, C and Crossrails at one of our favorite venues. Our goal is to keep both his shoes on, have fun, and not bolt wildly onto the cross country course.

OMG!! JOMPS!! GOOOO!


LIFE IS GOOD! 


Comments

  1. OMG, I am officially jealous of your life.. I want a horse!!! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i just found your blog from your comment this morning (thanks!) and am getting caught up! what a great story with Dutch, how cool that you're getting the extra and unexpected riding time with him! he certainly looks happy (and handsome!) in all those pictures <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts