Another 'nother lesson recap

After a week of some good and some bad rides we had another lesson yesterday.

Sorry for the old media - I broke my phone.

To make a very long story short - dressage is hard and Uno's 'work ethic' only lasts so long.  Basically he feels like me when the gym trainer is having me do planks... just counting the seconds and hoping to survive.  Unlike me, he has no idea why I am torturing him.

The literal worst - especially since XC is right through those trees.

We warmed up just walking forward.  I wasn't so focused on making him move out as I was just being there with him.  We did 2 walk - halt - walk transitions, then moved to trot.  Same goal, just soft hunter pony trit-trotting around.  Then trot - walk - halt - trot transitions both directions. Just a simple soft warm up.

To make it easier, we went back to the lateral work in and out on a 20 meter circle but would only ask for one step.  Basically, as I entered the part of the circle off the rain, I would ask him to come in one step. If he responded we held that diameter for a full circle then ask for one step out.  If that went well we went around the whole ring and changed directions. 

Then we came in and did it again the other way.

Then we took a walk break.

Then we came back in trot and did the same thing.

Then we took a walk break.

Then we came back and did the same in trot but asked for 2 steps in.  I held that circle, then asked for one step out and an upward transition to canter.  BOTH TRANSITIONS WERE SOFT AND CLEAN!!!

Then we walked and thought about that for a while. 

Then we did the BN test A - that I have never ridden before - that we are showing this weekend.

Babee Uno!!

He got super big in his trot and I lost his shoulders a few times, but we did all the movements and if there was an error I was able to softly correct it without Uno loosing his focus.

I wanted to end by hopping over a few fences, since I have not jumped Uno in a lesson since Feb.  I am glad we did it, but the kid was tired.  No amount of leg or hand was controlling his swinging haunches or shoulders.  So we walked the turns and trotted the jumps and he felt GREAT. 

This has never been the hard part.

Our goal is to slowly build his ability to hold his own self up on the outside.  Right now that means walking turns when he is tired, then trotting once we are lined up.  Then we will be able to trot the whole way.  Then we will trot the turns and canter up to the jumps.

Either way, my big take away is that I need to limit my arena time.  If it is not a lesson we either need to do a light jump school OR hit the trails.  No dressage without a trainer - my expectations are too high and it is not fair to the pony.

The dude tries so hard - dressage is just not fun!

Comments

Popular Posts