We had a LESSON!!!

We finally had a lesson! This brings our yearly total up to 3, and our 'on the farm' total to 1. : D

In between doctoring Dutch - who STEPPED on his own leg while fucking around on the grass.
Our magical jumping/ eventing trainer (LO) came out here on Sunday.  Our goal right now is just to chill and do our local county dressage shows this summer.  If everything goes well, and my show budget allows, we will plan for some fall horse trails.  I was super excited when our the Horsepark and several of the Southern Pines venues started planning June and July shows, but if I am honest, we are not ready.  I had one jumping lesson in March, but other than that I have not had any jumping lessons since last OCTOBER and at home, we have been popping over small single fences here and there.  It would not be fair to ask Uno to jump back in where we were.  I thought about dropping down a level and doing the 2' or starter division, but it would be a lot of money to do something with very little challenge.  While we are in the midst of barn building, it just would not make sense to spend all that money.

Where I am currently riding is on a slight hillside. Peep the barn slowly coming together in the back.


So LO came out and we started off with a flat school.  She approved of our new warm-up  - we w-t-c around our top field on a fairly loose rein, just focused on tempo; then we stretch left and right - then we go back to walk and work on shoulder-fore; then trot working on leg yielding and square corners - then we are ready to work. 

When we get it right we FANCY!


LO had us focus on tempo and balance - I hold him up too much - I need to get the balance and tempo where I want them, and then soften.  If he holds himself up good - keep it for a straight line or a circle, then praise and walk.  If he falls apart, NBD, just get him back together and try again.  Right now I am holding the balance for him and not releasing soon or often enough.  We got some GREAT trot and some good canter.

When the balance fails we kinda SPLAT - but check the hind end still coming under.

Then LO set up a line of 3 one stride tiny cross rails - they were much tougher than expected.  The goal was to SOFTLY and QUIETLY trot in, keep the balance, then halt.  We had mixed results.  The jumps were little, so Uno just wanted to rush in and run through them.  So we worked on the approach being slow and rhythmical.  He nailed that in 2 tries.  I had to focus on my body - cause dang, I was all over the place the first 2/3 times through. 









We got to where the first two jumps were soft and nice, but he would see the third and just bolt. So I worked on my shoulders and half halting in the line, then halting and reining back.  It was ugly.  Uno was shoving his head straight up and running sideways to avoid the bit.  I felt like I was water skiing on his mouth.  We didn't really halt, we just went from canter to rein back, while Uno tossed his head everywhere.

happy knees


Eventually, we got it really soft through the line and a reasonably prompt, but pissy, halt and called it a day.  If the weather allows we should try it again once or twice this week.

Such a good boy

Only REALY Princesses get Pink vet wrap with purple stars!

Comments

Popular Posts