Last show of the Summer

This morning, the two boys not coming in for breakfast,

So last weekend I went off to another local saddle club dressage show.  Uno was feeling great, we were riding our first place high, it was going to be good.

The best boi


And it was.  I still hate Intro C (which is the test that is used for Maiden eventing) with a passion, but our Training Test 1 was really good.  Our scores were 65 and 64 respectively. I went by myself so I have very little new media.

I am not going to do a break down of each test instead just give you my take aways.

1. Transitions work better if I ride the geometry FIRST and the transitions second.  So in the canter transitions - I want to commit to the circle before asking for the upward, and commit to my line in the trot before I ask him to transition down.  When I did this in the 2nd test, my transition marks were a whole point higher.

This canter is becoming our new normal


2. SOFT elbows and half-halt UP not back - my rider effectiveness went up in the second test, but I still get a bracey in my hands which causes him to brace his neck.

3. We finally have a steady rhythm and are working over the back more regularly.  Now I need to focus on having a constant swing through the back and a poll high neck position.  I feel like I do ok with this at home and in warm up, but loose it to poor test riding in the ring.  I was super happy that our 2nd test did not mention being braced or rushing at all. Instead, our biggest detractors were needing more swing and being downhill.

soft neck, low poll 
better



4. I love my little horse.  Dressage is hard.  Like really hard.  He has a weak loin, short neck, and is built down hill.  None of these things makes it easy for him, but damn if he doesn't show up to work hard every ride.  After our 2 week robaxin, lunge, and pole reset a few months ago - his back has felt really good and he is actually building muscle along his topline.  I think that will be normal part of his upkeep for as long as I am asking him to work his body like this.


The best boy at the show
Chilling at home after a good day.


I am so lucky


Comments

Popular Posts