Weather Sucks everywhere

 I know that my friends and family in TX are dealing with emergency conditions, but here in NC we are going on week 2 without the sun.  It has FINALLY stopped raining, but the amount of flooding is almost equal to what we get during hurricane flooding.  Everything is wet. Everything is awful.  

But we don't WANT to be out in the rain.

I have been trying to get the boys out for hacks every few days, but last Friday they almost killed us. I was 3 miles of rearing, bucking, and spinning.  Since we have to do this on the road right now, I decided that it is just not safe.  We are going to try to get out to a covered arena this weekend.

So bad. Just SOO bad.



We have not gotten to putting in the footing for our dry lot yet - the contractor we use was booked all fall and winter.  This means that there are long stretches of time when no one can go out.  Dutch is emotionally fine with it, but without stack wraps his hind legs look like sausages. Uno on the other hand is just the opposite.  He cannot handle going from 20+ hours of turnout to 20+ hours of stall time.   


Every barn check/ stall clean is treat time!



They have a good base right outside their stalls, so I have made a small temp run off his stall so he can at least go outside a bit.  Today I am going to put T-posts and more tape so that it is donkey-proof.  My hope is that stuff will dry enough today that the donkeys can go out in their normal place and the horses can have the top part of the hill to stand outside.

Tiny sliver of dry land in a sea of mud!

I made Dutch stand outside while I cleaned his stall, he thought it was SO RUDE!


Maybe I will try riding again before the weekend.  Maybe.

Some day it will be green and sunny again! But I will not be that skinny ; )


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts