A show and some redemption

 The show went only OK.  Long story short - The dressage judge didn't really like us, but I was really happy with both of us.  I actually rode the horse and not the test.  Uno was really soft and with me.  There were times where we got a bit on the forehand and poll low.  However, he was really soft and listening to me, if I had given him a few more half halts I think our score would have been much lower.

Lookit him building topline muscles for the first time.

Then the jumping - I kinda lost all my marbles.  Jumping on wet grass with bigger fences was just a bit too much to ask for me.  I cut the warm up too short and went in frazzled. My take away was that at the very least I was not pulling him backwards to each jump.  We had 2 run outs, because I was scared of slipping on the approach and did not ride straight. 

Easy Peasy - when I get it right.

The goodest boy.


Cut to our lessons from the past week.  We made a BIG step up in confidence and quality. My rides this week were not perfect, but I was able to overcome my "bad brain-ness" in both lessons and jump courses I would never have though possible 3 months ago.  I still had one bad jump, but I recovered from it really quickly. 

I had lessons on Wednesday and Sunday that both focused on the same thing.  Using the flat work to lift the shoulders then leave him alone, then finding my cut off before the jump.  Basically when I panic I pull once too many times and pull him to a stop.  I am getting better in feeling confident to ride at the fence and leave him alone to figure out the jump.  I am also slowly getting over my fear of oxers. 

And of normal sized verticals.

On Wednesday, we worked on getting him engaged and MOVING without rushing.  He warmed up pretty low energy and behind the leg.  When we started jumping, it was like a switched flipped.  When T L is there, I can trust the canter and soften my hands as we approach the jump.  This results in a much better jump and doesn't feel "punchy."  This is not to say I was perfect.  I pulled him to a stop at a bigger oxer, but I came around and jumped in perfectly.  Then my brain short circuited and I couldn't jump a vertical we jumped perfectly before. We dropped one side and I cantered over, then circled around and jumped it properly.  

On Sunday, we were able to pick back up with that feel.  Once we were warmed up we went over two small fences set at one horse stride.  The first times over where a scramble.  Uno is not gifted with related distances and my instinct is always going to be to add.  After 2 -3 scrambles through T L found our theme: stop creating problems to fix.  If I ride positively at the first jump, he will not have to scramble or LEAP for the second.  The first ride like that and he was the BOMB.  We landed and the good canter was THERE.  So without prompting we went around to the yellow vertical that had cause problems on Wednesday. It was literally perfect.

Just out of stide.

Jumping like a real horse.

"4 off the floor" as my Dad says.


We built up to a full course and T L said it was the best she has ever seen us ride.  Every jump came up out of stride and my hands stayed forward and soft in front of each jump.  When we went to do it again, I messed up one jump with one pull too close.  I honestly thought he was going to refuse, but instead he leaped it- he knocked the rail, but we recovered to have a great next jump and finished the course.

Spicy Tail is SPICY!!

The problem jump Wednesday.

When I went back to jump the one vertical my brain fucked up again. We immediately dropped one side, popped it. Then put it back and jumped it great.  We did the course one more time and although Uno was tired -  I put my leg on and softened my hands and he jumped GREAT!!

I can not be happier with how 2022 is turning out.  Even if we do not get to show much this year, these lessons are everything to me.


Comments

Popular Posts