Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

 Yesterday was our last HT for the foreseeable future.  It was at the same venue we had won at last time, but spoilers - it did not go well. We withdrew on the SJ course after, I broke my stirrup leathers, and Uno crashed through 2 jumps and fell to his knees... super classy I know.  I have a lesson tomorrow to unpack all of that, but today I want to talk about dressage.  

Uno was SUPER for dressage! I think it was probably the best test we have ever ridden. All the scores were low (or high for eventing scores), but we were less than 2 points from the winning score.  That has never happened at Maiden ever!  



We did a much longer than usual warm-up because Uno was wild.  Rearing, spinning and kicking up at the trailer.  All through warm-up he was squealing and whistling and calling out to whoever could hear him.  A trainer called him a velociraptor as we passed by.  We started with a long walk, short trot, and then cantered out in half seat until he took a breath. 

Then we walked for about 5 more minutes.  Then I picked him up again to run through the movements of the test, really working on bending around my leg and making PROMPT transitions.



Then we walked again and picked him back up again.  Each time I picked him up he seemed surprised to be asked to keep working. However, he also got softer and more relaxed each time.  We did the whole walk - work - walk thing  4 -5 times and when we trotted around the arena to enter I could tell he was cued in.  

I felt like this was the first time I could really ride him through the test.  Our biggest comment was that he was too fast, but honestly most of the test felt nice - he was actually in front of my leg.  The transitions were prompt and MUCH easier to set up.  I was smiling for the whole test because it felt so good.  He was lighter in my hand and although we still are a bit (for him) heavy on the forehand - he was even in both reins and not dragging downward.

Honestly, all the scores were pretty tightly grouped, and although we were 3rd out of 3, we were only 2.8 points away from the leader.  The highest score this judge gave for this test was a young rider on a FANCY horse, and they only earned a 69%.  I am just SO proud of how much our rideability improved.  I know the rest of the day was a shit show, but this test was just so nice. 

I am choosing to focus on the good and not the bad from this weekend and dressage was DEFINITELY the good!




Comments

Popular Posts