The run down

 I am still buzzing from the weekend.  My pony was so so good and for the first time I did not just shut down and survive each phase.

Parking near XC starting box was a CHOICE!!

Dressage was good - Uno was so lit up walking down to warm up that we had to canter a few laps to settle in.  Then we had a good warm up, and went in.  Uno spooked a bit coming around the ring, but by the time they buzzed us in, he was very settled and good.  

The test was very steady, and we actually held our balance up: for the first time there were no 'on the forehand' comments. We already know that his first halt is never great, and this was a bit tougher due to the XC field right behind the judge.  I really felt like Uno was with me and I was able to plan our transitions, ride the correct bend, and control the balance. The only recurring comment was to add impulsion for higher scores.  I am thrilled with that because for so long our scores were held down by tension and balance.  Plus I think that once we start doing actual eventing tests, the co-effecients will really work in our favor. We were in 2nd with a 32.


We had less than an hour between Dressage and the jumping phases. So I gave Uno a mash and let him relax for a bit.  They had not changed the warm up yet for our level, so I went in and jumped the cross rail and the vertical off both leads and called it ready.  I was seriously eyeing the oxers, and I kind of wished I had jumped them just to have the knowledge that we could.

The course was pretty easy - 9 jumps, curving lines, GREAT footing.  The best thing was I actually RODE!!!  I dumped Uno in the first corner after jump 2 and he bucked, but after that I landed and rode him up and out.  We had one weird buck that was mostly a failed flying change after that, but dang I felt SO CONFIDENT!!!  We jumped around clear and headed over to XC warm Up.

In XC warm up I jumped the starter (level above) roll top, and nailed it.  So we went off to the start box. So cross country was a series of wins.  1st win - when we walked the course we also walked starter - and it looked doable with only 3 'scary' jumps. 2nd win - Uno was locked and loaded. He came out the start box looking for the first jump, and never stopped locking on and taking me the whole way around.  3rd win - WE TROTTED THROUGH THE WATER!!  If you have been here you know that after fox hunting for a few seasons, Uno has no issues going in the water, but that once in he wants to stop and drink. 



The 'not-win'  I am not sure if it was bad riding or a for-real tack fail, but we had no breaks.  I ride all three phases in a HS Duo.  Super soft, and in all training WAY more than enough.  This time Uno pulled me around like a freight train and kept dumping on the forehand to fight against my hands.  This led to 2 spectacular bucks and very very tired arms.  Watching back the video I see a lot of me pulling back and then Uno curling and leaning.  In our lesson this week I am going to talk with my trainer and see what she thinks.  I do not need more breaks per say, but I could use some lift.   He hacks out and conditions in either a side pull (bitless) or a Waterford (for spicy days and when my husband rides) and he fox-hunted in a Kimberwick.  So we have a lot of options if we want to bit up a bit for XC, but first I want to really rule out a me issue.  

Anyway, we ended on our dressage score and moved up to WIN!!!!


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, congratulations! There were so many wins in this, but the actual win is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts