The Thaw Approaches

*for some reason blogger is no longer linking with my phone pictures after Jan 1.  I will try and fix it and repost this.

This week I bit the bullet and set up 2 jumps and just schooled the pony at home.  He was a heat seeking missile to the jumps, but the flat was interesting... How do you know if it is cold weather crazies or if he is going to stay this forward forever?  #1000halfhalts.

We have been seriously schooling canter work and transitions for about 6 weeks now and he just keeps getting hotter and hotter.  It is hard to hold him in walk or trot after we canter.  I can't tell if this is a mental issue or a strength issue.  I am starting to see a more rhythmic and quality canter appear, but I am also seeing our trot disappear.  We have lost all relaxation, like it went poof and gone.  I know this is just a phase, but I would really like it to be over sooner rather than later. 

His jumping couldn't have been better.  He was straight and honest to each fence, despite very passive riding from me.

Sunday I long lined Dutch and watched the boys be crazy.  Dutch on again off again short behind ( always warms up out of it)  and needs to have his hocks and stifle injected.  We are waiting until his preferred vet is available to do this, so his work is low key, short, suppling work to keep his mind happy.  When he is out of work he doesn't eat.  So now he gets long lined a few times a week and a bareback trail ride here and there.  Just enough.


Wish us luck this weekend it will be interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts