It is all in the foot work

 So as figured our jump lesson was particularly illuminating. 




Event Trainer was really impressed with our flat work, and zeroed in on the two big issues of our jump round. Issue 1: Uno's footwork.  He was putting in stutter steps or chips at the base of EVERY fence. We finally have a well-balanced canter, but he is not used to jumping this way and is not great with his footwork at the best of times. Issue 2: My hands.  Good God you guys, my hands.  They are a tragedy in front of the jump.  I have stopped pulling him off the jump and started flinging them at him.


The solution - some grids and a grab strap that is more than just an oh shit we may crash seat belt. 

The grids we worked on this week (and probably will for the foreseeable future) were 4 -5 trot poles set short (no more than 4 feet), to a small jump.  Oh boy did this bring out all of our issues!  

First thing to note is that the Uno pony can comfortably compress himself and canter over trot short trot poles.  Second thing, is that he is very used to the forward and flat jumping and moving style and finds that he needs to super focus to lift and place his feet.





The first thing for me was my eye.  I HAVE to look at what I am doing - I have to watch as each pole goes between his ears.  I am not allowed to just stare at the oncoming fence like a deer in traffic. The second thing for me was that although my seat and leg are better over the jump, I need to hold the grab strap with a slightly loose rein and use voice and body to slow and balance him.  For anything that asks for a good jump or focused footwork he needs his head and neck to make good shapes, and the ability to move his eyes to take everything in.






It took MANY repetitions of these grids to "get it right" and we definitely have a lot of homework, but even when the jumps were awkward, as soon as I fixed my hands I had my happy pony back. 



Moral of the story - if I am going to show over fences I need more than 3 lessons in 2.5 months. Period.

I am already booked again for next Tuesday.



Please send wishes for my good boy Dutch - he goes to the vet tomorrow and may need surgery.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts