Speaking of being old

 

I took the world's snortiest old man out for our weekly toodle.  His current workload is 2 days ponying, 1 day hacking each week.  I usually just climb on bareback, unless he is particularly full of beans.  He is not 100% sound on his left hind.  He runs and plays in the pasture just fine, but is noticeably short on that leg in the canter or in big trots.
I really struggle with this because Previcox makes a world of difference, but I also do not want to push it because he feels good on any one given day.  With M-W-F previcox the shortness is really only visible on small circles or large lengthened gates. This is a horse who is MISERABLE without a job, so finding some happy balance is key for his quality of life.

It is also key for my quality of life.  My strongest and most effective coping mechanism for my anxiety and depression is this horse.  He is the light of my life and his many winter illnesses have taken their toll on my mental state as much as they have his body.  I am not ready for him to be done and I am constantly scared that each ride could be our last.  The awareness that each morning snuggle is a gift has never been quite so present in my mind.

Shakespeare described love as, "The star to every wandering bark, whose worths unknown although his height be taken."  Dutch is my star.  He is the fixed point in my life for the last 16 years.  If you scroll to the oldest pictures I have saved, they are of the two of us. If you check my phone for the most recent pictures I have saved, they are of the two of us.  
Over 11 years ago - we were both babies.
Literally the last image I have saved.


I just want as many snuggles and romps as I can get. Because he is the best boy and never fails to make my heart happy.




Comments

Popular Posts