Breaking down the SJ and XC

 Ok I am starting this blog out with my new favorite series of pictures - These are not related to a jump, it was just galloping up a long but not steep hill.  I love how happy I am and how happy and settled Uno looks.

Why yes - I was happy!


And Uno was sweet.




Stadium was a long ass wait from dressage, but we made it, and actually needed a very minimal warm up.  Uno was soft to the base, I wasn't panicking. It was really nice. EXCEPT that Uno was bucking pretty much after every fence. I had the thought of scratching and without a trainer there I probably would have.  We have sinced figured out what was going on, but just know that for every picture you see posted there were two or three unpictured bucks.






The venue has put up a new arena with wonderful fiber footing, safe fencing (which I like better than the temp string fence they used to use), and a small stand area.





This course was basically a hunter pattern of outside - diagonal - outside - diagonal - repeate. There was one bending line.  It was so easy.  I can't belive we actually went to a show and found a jump small or puny. You can see signs of the bucking in the very sassy tail Uno has on some of the jumps.







However, I found it very easy to cruise around to the jumps and let Uno take care of his part of the job.  He was soft to the fences. I kept my shoulders back.  I loved it.


This picture actually made me feel much better - he is clearly happy and looking for the next jump. Even though he was bucking afterword.

Cross Country was a nice inviting course that got very twisty at the end.  I was worried about a few jump, but Uno handled them like a champ.

Shoulders back! Jeeze.

He is the cutest chonky-est pony ever.  Look at those little legs!!


I focused on having fun and making sure my canter was good.  If it wasn't good I trotted the jump.  It worked really well and 99% of the course was easy peasy.  I wasn't even out of breath climbing the big hill to the last field.


I have never been able to get him to NOT drink from the water jump. He never stops all the way, he ust walks and slurps....




The 1% we both missed at so bad was a little yellow ramp.  It was on curve and the first fence in the last field, and I don't think Uno ever saw it.  In the first picture below his knees are literary TOUCHING the front of the jump.




But like the rockstar he is, he got me over and even waited to buck for a few strides to make sure I was back upright and in the plate. Although he gets all the credit for our double clear, I have no idea how we both missed so badly at this one.  


All in all, I couldn't ask for a better first event out.  The plan is to run this level until 1. there is no more bucking 2. we canter all the jumps without missing.

This is my new favorite picture - He is just the sweetest little pony anyone ever sat on.


Comments

Popular Posts